Okay, so, hi.  Sorry I haven’t written for a while, it’s been hectic. So, the remainder of the time we spent in Murmansk was helpful.  The Mother and I went to a nearby shopping centre and bought what is either a toy cat, or a dog.  It’s difficult to tell.  We attached it to the front of the boat, whatever it is, on Tuesday.  On Wednesday we left Murmansk.
David gives the safety briefing before departing Murmansk, July 20th 2016

David gives the safety briefing before departing Murmansk, July 19th 2016.

We had a safety briefing (see picture right) at about twelve o’clock and left at six in the evening because the immigration people had to come onboard and get us all to promise we weren’t smuggling vodka.  My new shift starts at six so, as usual, we left at the start of my watch.  Once we got out of Murmansk the scenery was beautiful for my watch.  It took a long time for the water to look clean though.  Coal ports are not good for pollution.  On the way out of Murmansk we passed the dock that houses a portion of Russia’s nuclear ships, the Atom Fleet.  Because of where we were all of them were icebreakers.  They were huge ships, larger than most cross sea ferries.  Russia has several ports that have nuclear vessels.  The only ones I know are Murmansk and one in the black sea.  Because of how nice it was during my watch I was prepared for some truly awful weather just down the road, it hasn’t arrived yet, maybe we’re just lucky.  I hope so.  This afternoon I looked outside and the sea was like glass.  Completely smooth with no wind, that’s barely changed.  The mother and I put on sea sickness patches before we left and we, and everyone else, hey DOLPHINS!  Sorry, dolphins were here, I had to go and see, there were only two but still.  Anyway.  No one has been sick yet, I call that a result.  At the moment we’re heading for the top of a very long island who’s name I can’t remember.  After that is when we expect to see ice.  If we’re very luck indeed this might all take less that twenty five days.  On Monday we’re going to be on the today program so we’ve been recording each other talking little bits for it.  Well, I’ve recorded David and myself, I haven’t got round to anyone else yet.  We’re managing to go along fairly quickly and I’ve got my watch in not too long so I’ll leave you now, Bye.  I’ll write tomorrow.